Does sitting or mendacity down have an effect on ladies’s well being, from uterine fibroids to infertility?
Does sitting or mendacity down have an effect on ladies’s well being? Sure, sitting or mendacity down for prolonged intervals can negatively influence ladies’s well being in a number of methods. Latest analysis has proven that ladies who spend six or extra hours a day sitting or mendacity down could also be twice as more likely to develop uterine fibroids earlier than menopause.
Different women-related well being Points which will come up from sitting or mendacity down for too lengthy
Bodily well being: Extended sitting can result in various bodily well being issues, together with:
- Weight problems: Sitting burns fewer energy than standing or strolling, and a sedentary life-style could make it tough to take care of a wholesome weight.
- Coronary heart illness: Sitting for lengthy intervals can elevate blood stress, levels of cholesterol, and blood sugar ranges, all of that are danger elements for coronary heart illness.
- Sort 2 diabetes: Research have proven that ladies who sit for greater than six hours a day usually tend to develop kind 2 diabetes.
- Musculoskeletal issues: Sitting for lengthy intervals can put pressure on the muscular tissues and joints, which might result in ache, stiffness, and arthritis.
- Varicose veins: Extended sitting can intervene with blood circulation, making it extra doubtless for veins to turn into varicose.
- Degenerative disc illness: The discs within the backbone are designed to soak up shock, however sitting for lengthy intervals can put stress on them, growing the danger of degeneration.
Psychological well being: Spending an excessive amount of time sitting or mendacity down may also have a unfavorable influence on ladies’s psychological well being. This can be as a consequence of the truth that it could possibly result in emotions of isolation, boredom, and restlessness. Research have proven that ladies who sit for greater than six hours a day usually tend to expertise melancholy and nervousness.
Hormonal well being: Extended sitting can disrupt the physique’s pure hormonal steadiness, which might result in various well being issues, together with:
- Osteoporosis: Along with the Uterine fibroids talked about earlier, osteoporosis is a situation that causes bones to turn into weak and brittle. Extreme sitting can scale back bone density, growing the danger of osteoporosis.
- Infertility: Extreme sitting can intervene with ovulation, making it tougher to conceive.
Normal well being: Spending an excessive amount of time sitting or mendacity down could make it tough to take care of a wholesome life-style typically. This can be as a consequence of the truth that it could possibly make it tougher to get sufficient train, eat wholesome meals, and get sufficient sleep.
Concerning the new examine
The examine, printed within the journal BMJ Open, discovered that the danger of uterine fibroids elevated with the period of time ladies spent being sedentary. Girls who spent the least period of time being sedentary had been on the lowest danger of creating uterine fibroids.
Uterine fibroids are benign tumors that develop within the uterus. They’re the most typical kind of tumor in ladies of childbearing age. Whereas uterine fibroids are often innocent, they’ll typically trigger signs corresponding to heavy bleeding, ache, and infertility.
The examine’s authors say that their findings recommend that ladies ought to scale back the period of time they spend sitting or mendacity down every day. They suggest that ladies get not less than 150 minutes of moderate-intensity cardio exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity cardio exercise every week. In addition they suggest that ladies break up lengthy intervals of sitting with exercise.
The examine was observational, so it can not show that sedentary time causes uterine fibroids. Nevertheless, the findings are in keeping with earlier analysis on the hyperlink between sedentary habits and different well being issues.
Extra analysis is required to verify the findings of this examine and to find out the mechanisms by which sedentary habits could enhance the danger of uterine fibroids.
Within the meantime, ladies can take steps to cut back their sedentary time and enhance their general well being.
Here’s a desk summarizing the important thing findings of the examine:
The best way to scale back the unfavorable results
Listed below are some particular suggestions for lowering sedentary time:
- Take the steps as an alternative of the elevator.
- Stroll or bike each time attainable.
- Park farther away out of your vacation spot and stroll the additional distance.
- Rise up and transfer round each half-hour or for 10 minutes each hour.
- Take breaks from sitting in the course of the workday.
- Use a standing desk or treadmill desk.
- Have interaction in common bodily exercise, corresponding to strolling, operating, swimming, or biking.
- Energy practice your muscular tissues to enhance your posture and steadiness.
- Get sufficient sleep, which helps to manage hormones and promote general well being.
- Eat a nutritious diet that features loads of fruits, greens, and entire grains.
- Restrict your consumption of processed meals, sugary drinks, and unhealthy fat.
You may as well attempt to break up lengthy intervals of sitting with quick walks or stretches.
By making these adjustments, you’ll be able to assist to enhance your general well being and scale back your danger of creating power illnesses.
How a lot sitting is an excessive amount of?
The American Coronary heart Affiliation recommends that adults rise up and transfer round for not less than two minutes each hour. Girls must also intention to get not less than 150 minutes of moderate-intensity cardio exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity cardio exercise every week.
“Affiliation between sedentary leisure time and uterine fibroids in ladies of reproductive age” (2023) by Yang et al. in BMJ Open 12(4): e055125. This examine discovered that ladies who spent six or extra hours a day sitting or mendacity down had been twice as more likely to develop uterine fibroids.
“The function of bodily exercise and sedentary habits in bone mineral density and osteoporosis: a evaluation of the literature” (2019) by Kim et al. in Osteoporosis Worldwide 30(7): 1409-1432. This evaluation article discovered that extended sitting is related to an elevated danger of osteoporosis.
“Sedentary time and infertility: a scientific evaluation and meta-analysis” (2014) by Lee et al. in Fertility and Sterility 101(3): 831-840. This meta-analysis discovered that extended sitting was related to an elevated danger of infertility.
“Sitting time and all-cause mortality in 2018: a scientific evaluation and meta-analysis of 178 potential research with 46 million person-years of follow-up” (2022) by Lee et al. in Drugs (Baltimore) 101(22): e27299. This examine discovered that sitting for greater than six hours a day was related to an elevated danger of all-cause mortality.
“The affiliation between sitting time and weight problems: a scientific evaluation and meta-analysis” (2018) by Lee et al. in Weight problems critiques 20(10): 1350-1360. This examine discovered that sitting for greater than six hours a day was related to an elevated danger of weight problems.
“The affiliation between sitting time and kind 2 diabetes: a scientific evaluation and meta-analysis” (2013) by Ding et al. in Diabetes Care 36(4): 1137-1144. This examine discovered that sitting for greater than six hours a day was related to an elevated danger of kind 2 diabetes.
Proceed to verify our web site soundhealthandlastingwealth.com for extra articles of this type. And, please use our remark part as effectively, we’d love to listen to from you.